Even though your HVAC contractor has advised you to check and replace your system's air filter regularly in between routine maintenance visits, it's easy to forget this essential task. Making routine filter checks a habit is vital for several reasons:
- Operating your HVAC equipment when the filter is dirty reduces the system's energy efficiency, so it costs you more to heat or cool your home.
- As the filter clogs up with dirt and debris, airflow through the HVAC system declines, and the equipment has to work harder to compensate. The added strain and wear makes the equipment more prone to breakdowns and can shorten the expected lifespan of costly system components.
- Running the HVAC system with a clogged filter can also negatively impact your home's air quality, which can worsen allergies and respiratory problems like asthma.
You can avoid the above issues by inspecting the air filter every month and replacing it as soon there's any visible debris accumulation. There are some easy ways to remember this crucial task:
- Perform your checks on the same date every month.Choose a convenient date for your filter check, like your anniversary or a family birthday. Stick with it every month and you'll soon start to associate the date with the chore.
- Keep your fresh filters in a prominent spot.It's hard to forget to look after the air filter if you keep replacements where you'll see them every day, like in a frequently-used coat closet or right beside the washer or dryer in the laundry room.
- Make up a household chore calendar.Use a paper calendar with big date blocks and put it in a hard-to-miss site such as the refrigerator door. Mark your chosen filter inspection date and pencil in any other maintenance chores you need to remember.
- Send yourself an electronic reminder.Take advantage of the reminder function on your computer or cell phone. Just pick a date, and send yourself a monthly text, email or audible prompt to check the air filter.
Visit our website for in-depth information on most HVAC topics, or just give us call at (408) 868-5500.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the South Bay Peninsula and Santa Cruz areas of California about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).