Skip to Content

Debunking Common Myths about LED Lighting


Debunking Common Myths about LED Lighting

LED lights often touted for their energy efficiency and their long lifespan. There are many benefits but also a lot of misconceptions about LED lighting. When making the switch to LED lighting, it is important to understand how LED lighting works and what you to expect from LED bulbs.

Below we debunk four of the most common LED lighting myths.

Myth #1: LED Bulbs Will Last Indefinitely

While LED lights last significantly longer than incandescent bulbs, they do not last forever. On average, LED bulbs will last for around 20, 000 to 25,000 hours, or 20 to 25 years while incandescent bulbs last for about 1,000 hours or one year and compact fluorescent (CFLs) last for about 10,000 hours or 10 years.

Myth #2: LED Bulbs Are Not Affordable

Though LED bulbs are moderately more expensive than incandescent bulbs, because of their long lifespan and their energy efficiency, they actually end up costing you less than incandescent bulbs. As reported by USA Today, only 10% of the energy used to power incandescent bulbs goes towards light production. The remaining 90% goes towards heat. Not only do LED lights use less energy, but more of the energy they do use goes to producing light.

Myth #3: LED Lights Have Poor Color and Light Quality

Lightbulbs are rated using the Color Rendering Index (CRI). This measures how well lightbulbs show color compared to daylight. Where natural daylight is rated at 100, white light LED bulbs are generally rated between 75 and 85. As LED technology improves, this rating continues to climb closer to 100. However, this is not the only way, or even the primary way, consumers tend to assess light quality.

Most lightbulbs are assessed for color, brightness and consistency or how they enhance or detract from the general atmosphere of a home. Typically, when someone is dissatisfied with an LED lightbulb, it is because they havenandrsquo;t chosen the correct bulb for their fixture or setting.

LEDs come in a wide range of wattages and color temperatures and can be dimmed to allow ultimate control at any given moment. By working with the lighting designers at Valley Heating, Cooling, Electrical and Solar, you can create a lighting system that is customized to your space and your needs.

Myth #4: You Have to Replace Your Fixtures when Switching to LED

Luckily, you do not have to replace your fixtures when making the switch to LED lights. Generally speaking, LED bulbs can be used in any lighting fixture. Most screw-in and pin-type incandescent bulbs can be replaced with screw-in or pin-type LED bulbs. You just have to check that you have the correct voltage and youandrsquo;re good to go.

However, there are a few things to consider when making the switch. If your fixture is on an old dimmer system, the new LED bulb may work, but the old system may dramatically reduce the lifespan of the new LED bulb. You will also want to consider if the bulb is visible in the fixture and if it is, make sure that a visually appealing LED bulb is chosen as a replacement.

LEDs often need significantly less wattage to produce the same amount of light as an incandescent bulb. For example, if you are replacing a 60W incandescent bulb, you may only need a 10W LED. To ensure the correct level of brightness, you will also want to either look at a lumens-to-watts conversion chart or consult with one of the expert electricians at Valley.

At Valley, we are committed to helping our customers make the switch to LED lighting. Give us a call today to get started.

Whatandrsquo;s Happening at Valley in May

On the blog this month, we not only debunk common myths about LED lighting, but we tackle separating fact from fiction when it comes to solar panels. We discuss a lot of important information, such as whether your panels will continue producing energy on a cloudy day and if solar is really as great for the environment as people say it is. Spoiler alert: the answers are yes and yes! We also review the reliability of solar systems, when you can expect to see a return on your investment and how they impact home values.

As the weather continues to heat up, we also explore the differences between central air conditioning and ductless mini-split systems. We take a look at the benefits and advantages of each type of cooling system, as well as their potential drawbacks. While there is no simple answer, we consider the installation and operating costs of each type of system, their energy consumption and how the size and configuration of your home may impact your decision.

Share To: